I feel like it has been a while since I’ve done a top ten…do you agree? Well, here is today’s topic for top ten…
In light of the school year beginning and I’ve been consumed with preparing for it I thought I would share ten things you should get in to this year at CSU. Go BLUE!!!
10. You can never go wrong with getting involved with intramurals sports on our campus. This year we will kick-off with our cross-town rival flag football game versus the Citadel on Thursday, September 3rd at 7:30 p.m. As the year kicks in to gear there will be flag football, paintball, softball, beach volleyball, frisbee, disc golf, basketball and dodgeball. Join in the fun by signing up in the Brewer Center. Ask for Eric!
9. Solomon’s Porch will be a good time to bring your questions about life, relationships, struggles and other issues to the room through a text Q&A in Littlejohn Parlor on September 16th and November 16th at 8 p.m. King Solomon was the wisest man to ever live simply because He asked the Lord for wisdom to lead. There is wisdom in God’s word to help us and guide us through the good, the bad and the ugly. Or maybe for you simply the ups and downs of this thing we call LIFE! We’ll talk for a bit and have some food to enjoy afterwards. Join us!
8. We have 30+ clubs and organizations who will be recruiting beginning on September 1st at Start FRESH by the pond. Get involved in a club to make a difference on this campus and in the community. By getting involved in this way, you always help your resume and skill set for the future.
7. Rez Life Small Groups are bible study/small groups led by the RAs on each hallway. This semester we will be discussing the book, The Case for Christ by Lee Strobel, and then going through some life issues. Find out more about how you can get involved with your RA. These small groups will build community among your hallmates and corporately across campus.
6. Homecoming 2009 – This year there is a new format of events going down at Buc City. We will begin on Thursday at the Fun Run/FallFest at 7 p.m. over by the Fieldhouse. Then Saturday will be our Display of floats, Homecoming Lunch under the tent and then our CSU football team takes on the Liberty Flames.
5. Join the “We <3 the Lady Bucs” Facebook group! Then come out to support our lady Bucs as they take on our cross-town rivals like the Citadel and College of Charleston, or our conference rivals Coastal Carolina and Winthrop! We kick off the fall semester with Women’s Soccer on Saturday, August 22nd at 4 p.m. and Volleyball on Tuesday, September 1st at 6 p.m. Go Bucs!
4. During Fall Break (October 2009) we will be going to Erwin, Tennessee on a Mission trip to help with a church who is doing lots of cool ministry in their community. We’re hoping to head south to New Orleans for Spring Break Mission Trip this year in March 2010 to help with the continuation of rebuilding the city from Hurricane Katrina. We are looking for anyone and everyone on-campus who wants to spend their break living out their faith through the power of serving, praying and worshiping!
3. Because our University’s vision is that we would be recognized for integrating faith in learning, leading and SERVING we have a program called Catalyst. This is a group of people who go out into the community to do service! In the past we’ve mainly worked with Habitat for Humanity, but this year we’re going even further than before. We will be working with groups of people building relationships, doing laborous work such as Habitat, and also serving people meals. If you have a heart to serve then you’re gonna want to be involved with this. Contact Melissa Bell, RLC, for more information.
2. This semester at Elevate we’re going to be focused on the character of Jesus, mission and important things to Jesus, and lessons that Jesus taught the people through parables. We have a great leadership team who has been praying for you guys all summer! The first Elevate will kick-off on Thursday, August 27th at 8 p.m. in the CAF. You really don’t want to miss this night of worship because its going to set the pace for the whole school year and the Holy Spirit is going to SHOW UP and SHOW OUT that night. For more info on upcoming Elevate stuff get connected:
Join us on Facebook or Follow us on Twitter!
1. Duh – What is more exciting than GO BLUE! We’ve got lots of cool things for you to get involved in throughout the semester that are special Go Blue events. As soon as you get to campus you need to get your hands on TWO major things…(1) Go Blue Button and (2) Go Blue involvement card. Just drop by the Student Activities office in the Brewer Center to get a card and button. After get staff to stamp your card at all of the listed events you can bring it back to Student Activities to get some Go Blue! gear. I promise you want to be in the GO BLUE group! Check us out on the CSU website and Facebook.